Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s theme is:
Top Ten Characters Who I’d Like To Send To The Bog Of Eternal Stench
There are many, many characters I love in fiction. Some I want as my BFF’s, some I would quite fancy if they existed in real-life, some I just want to wrap into a big cuddle. However, when I come across a character that irritates me to no end, I really feel like tearing my hair out – I want to connect with these characters dammit!
Here are some characters in novels I have read fairly recently that have really bugged me:
1. Janelle from Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris: Janelle was a strong main character who was plenty smart. Unfortunately she was also full of herself and judgemental. She really annoyed me even though I enjoyed the book overall.
2. Ben from Unbreakable by Elizabeth Norris: Janelle grew on me a lot in this installment – wish I could say the same for her love interest Ben. I really liked him in the first book but he was really annoying in the sequel.
3. Mary from Fire with Fire by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian: Mary was just kind-of ‘there’ in the first book. In the second she seemed to turn into a total shrew who just became more unlikable as the story progressed.
4. Nathan from Nathan’s Story by Luke Hartwell: Never has a character so annoyed, disappointed or enraged me. I really loved Nathan in Atom Heart John Beloved. He was just a really stand-up, decent guy. Then I read this book from his perspective – urgh! I raged for weeks about this book!
5. Violet from Falling for the Ghost of You by Nicole Christie: A lot of people really loved this book and the main protagonist Violet. I had to wonder when I finished this: ‘did I read the same book?’ I found Violet to be selfish, immature, and shallow, not to mention the fact that her extreme jealousy was very hard to take.
6. Chris from Left Drowning by Jessica Park: I know the boy had troubles but I really just wanted to slap some sense into him! He just didn’t seem to have much of a spine at all.
7. Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: Don’t get me wrong – I got Cath. I even liked her at times. However she really needed to grow up. I get that she was insecure and clearly suffered from a form of social phobia but I really wanted her to get herself out of her little cocoon and experience life!
8. Mal from The Gathering Dark (Shadow and Bone in the US) by Leigh Bardugo: I have only read the first book mind, but Mal is just such a controlling douche. Team Darkling for me!
9. Saf from Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore: I have always liked that the characters in this go against most fantasy tropes but I really didn’t get or like Saf. He was just an arrogant SOB!
10. Evanjalin from Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta: Hate! Hate! Hate! My dislike of this character is probably somewhat irrational (especially when you find out her back story) but I really didn’t like her sanctimonious attitude or how willfully she put everyone in danger.
For more Top Ten Tuesday topics, check out the host site: The Broke and The Bookish