Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s theme is:
.Top Ten Favourite Heroines
I couldn’t seem to make a choice to go with fictional heroines or heroines from television shows I love. So this week, you are getting both from me! In the immortal words of Joey Tribbiani:
1. Hermione Granger from the Harry Potter series: who doesn’t love Hermione? She’s smart, resourceful, brave – she’s the ideal heroine in many ways.
2. Sydney Sage from the Bloodlines series: I adore Sydney because she is smart, loyal, and undeniably powerful – she isn’t a fighter but she can certainly take care of herself.
3. Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games trilogy: I can bet Katniss is on a lot of lists this week! I love Katniss because of her flaws. She is not the typical, selfless heroine.
4. Linh Cinder from the Lunar Chronicles series: I was really torn between Cinder and Scarlet but ultimately went with Cinder. She has had a very tough upbringing but it has only made her stronger.
5. Blue Sargent from the Raven Boys series: I adore Blue, she is so unashamedly herself and she just doesn’t give a fig about what other people may think of her. One of my favourite heroines.
6. Sansa Stark from the A Song of Ice and Fire series: I may get people giving me the side-eye here but I genuinely think Sansa is one of the few characters who will survive the game of thrones – girl has developed some real smarts.
7. Lady Fire from the Graceling Realm series: I was again torn between Fire and Katsa but in the end I went with Fire as she has had even more obstacles to overcome.
8. Quintana of Charyn from the Lumatere Chronicles series: Quintana was such an amazing character – so feral and wild but fiercely protective and loyal at the same time.
9. Kate Daniels from the Kate Daniels series: I think Kate is a fantastic heroine. She is strong and capable and doesn’t take any crap. I love her!
10. Perry Palomino from the Experiment in Terror series: I completely relate to Perry and all of her insecurities about herself. However, being insecure does not make her a weak character at all – she can be completely kick-ass!
from television shows:
1. Buffy Summers from Buffy the Vampire Slayer: of course Buffy is on this list! Buffy was my idol when I was a teenager – she was such a strong, positive role model. Even in the whiny years!
2. Veronica Mars from Veronica Mars: sort-of the spiritual successor to Buffy, this show did not have the same paranormal element but Veronica was very similar to Buffy in many ways – just even more snarky!
3. Abbie Mills from Sleepy Hollow: I am just a recent convert to this show (and am still on season one) but I completely adore Abbie – she is beyond awesome!
4. Peggy Carter from Agent Carter: I liked her character in the Captain America movies but she is even more fantastic on the small screen. Peggy is my new girl-crush. 😉
5. Emma Swan from Once Upon a Time: I don’t really know why but I have so much empathy for Emma. She has been my favourite character right from the start and I relate to her a lot.
6. Shane Vansen from Space: Above and Beyond: this series doesn’t get enough love which makes me sad. Shane was one of my favourites. I loved that she ended up becoming the captain.
7. Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones: I am not a huge fan of the character in the books but I love her in the television show. Do not mess with her – she has dragons!
8. Kira Nerys from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Kira was one of the most amazing characters on the show. A freedom fighter who never gives up the fight, she is also very canny and resourceful.
9. Michonne from the Walking Dead: originally a character of very few words, Michonne has changed a lot from when she was first introduced but she can swing a katana like no other. Simply put; she rules.
10. Sarah Walker from Chuck: it was nice to see the woman as the strong and stoic one, whilst Chuck was the emotional and earnest one. Sarah was an awesome heroine.