Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created by The Broke and The Bookish. This week’s theme is:
Top Ten ALL TIME Favorite Authors
This is a cruel, cruel topic – how can anyone narrow the list down to JUST 10? I suppose I will just have to try. 😉 This topic actually proved a little stressful. There are so many authors I would class as favourites so it was really hard trying to stick to ten choices. I have probably missed a few but the below authors are ones I always recommend and have the ability to really capture my imagination. As always, fantasy authors dominate this list!
1. Robin Hobb: Her Realm of the Elderlings series owns my soul. I have been a huge fan of hers for years. One of the best fantasy writers out there (IMHO).
2. George R.R. Martin: I am a huge A song of Ice and Fire fan (although waiting for each next installment is pure torture).
3. Juliet Marillier: The Sevenwaters series drew me in and I have never looked back. I have yet to find one of her books disappointing.
4. Richelle Mead: The Vampire Academy series is really what got me back into reading young adult so I have a lot to thank it for. Her adult series are pretty awesome too!
5. J.R.R. Tolkien: The Lord of the Rings is entirely responsible for my love of the fantasy genre. It was my favourite book when I was younger and I really need to do a re-read one of these days.
6. Melina Marchetta: I love her contemporary books and her fantasy series. Just a really amazing writer wih completely awesome but relatable characters.
7. Maggie Stiefvater: A newer favourite, I adore her Raven Cycle series and the Scorpio Races was amazingly good. I really need to try her Wolves of Mercy Falls series again (I didn’t really care for the first book when I read it years ago).
8. Jacqueline Carey: Her writing is just exquisite. I was never much into erotic books prior to reading Jacqueline Carey but Kushiel’s Dart really opened my horizons and I never looked back.
9. Stephen King: I do not devour his books in the same way as I did when I was a teen but Stephen King will always hold a special place in my heart.
10. Ilona Andrews: This husband and wife writing duo is awesome! The Kate Daniels series is one of the best urban fanatsy series out there and I also loved The Edge series too.
Richelle Mead is on my list as well:) Really excited about Soundless. I haven’t read anyone else on your list:P Great choices though:)
I am excited for Soundless too – it looks so awesome!! 🙂
My dad used to read me Lord of the Rings as bedtime stories! When others were getting stories about ducks, I was getting orcs and eveil wizards! I always find it strange that despite enjoying this trilogy, I never did like the traditional fantasy genre! That might be why I keep putting off watching Game of Thrones!
Lol – I like the way your dad thinks! I often think Lord of the Rings spoiled a lot of fantasy for me. I loved it so much nothing could compare. 🙂 Still, there is some fantastic fantasy out there and Game of Thrones is definitely one of the best fantasy series I have read. I would recommend it. 😉
Love Tolkien, and I still really need to read George Martin and Robin Hobb. Both high on the priority list. A good list. A few authors I haven’t read = a few authors to check out. 🙂
Tolkien is awesome – still my favourite after all these years. 🙂 I highly recommend both Hobb and Martin – they are both fantastic.
I have read On the Jellicoe Road and I loved it a whole lot! I was reading a library copy but I definitely need one of my own. Oh, and I have only read the first book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, but I will be reading the second one this summer and the first was ah-ma-zing!
Jellicoe Road is awesome – one of the best books I have read – EVER!! You definitely must get your own copy. 😉 Glad to hear you enjoyed Game of Thrones – A Clash of Kings (the second book) is even better!! Hope you enjoy it. 😀