August Wrap-Up (and July, and June …)
I haven’t done one of these wrap-up posts for absolutely ages – I am really behind with everything on my blog (yet again). I went through a slump in July and took a couple of weeks off to clear my head. I did feel a lot better for it but over the last couple of weeks I have been really busy and haven’t had the impetus to blog.
This has been pretty frustrating because I still have plenty of ideas for posts – just no motivation to actually write them. I am a total pantser so when this happens, I don’t have any posts in reserve to fall back on (unless you include the ones that I started but never finished that are currently burning a hole in my drafts folder).
I have been pretty busy at work (switched job roles again for the third time this year) but that really isn’t an excuse for neglecting this blog. I am off on holiday for the next two weeks so I am hoping to get back in the swing of things.
One problem I do have is that the new Windows 10 upgrade has completely ballsed up my computer. I have access to my partner’s laptop and I also have a desktop computer but everything is saved on my little laptop so I feel a tad bereft without it. Mr G is currently fixing it so hopefully I will be back up and running again very soon (please, please, please)!
Anyhoo, enough of me whining – here is what I have been up to the last couple of months!
here are the books i read:
I am really behind on all my challenges. Realistically, I am not going to be able to complete most of them so I am going to have a look through them and see which ones I can feasibly keep up with and which ones I will have to bow out of. I promised myself I wouldn’t get to this point again this year but I signed up for too many challenges, me thinks.
what i watched over the last few months:
I have watched rather a lot of movies and TV shows over the last few months. While my reading has taken a hit, I have caught up with my telly watching!
One movie I used to love was Mrs Winterbourne starring Shirley MacLaine, Ricki Lake, and Brendan Fraser. It’s not the best movie by any stretch of the imagination but I had forgotten how charming it was (and how cute Brendan Fraser was back then).
I also rewatched one of my favourite teen movies School Ties (again with Brendan Fraser). It’s funny how many future stars are in this movie. I really enjoyed watching it again and still think it is a pretty powerful film (and Matt Damon is very punchable in it). 😉
I also went through a bit of a horror movie spell and watched Insidious and Insidious 2 again (had seen them originally at the cinema). I found them just as scary as before! I also watched Sinister (on DVD) before going to see Sinister 2 at the movies and I found them refreshingly chilling. Would You Rather and You’re Next were also pretty good. It Follows was also really intense and had a few scares as well.
I also watched a rather interesting film called Obvious Child starring comedian Jenny Slate (who I knew from her stint as Marcel the Shell). It was a surprisingly funny and sweet movie, considering the subject matter is about abortion, and I really liked it.
I went to see a couple of bigger blockbuster movies too, notably Jurassic World (which was awesome) and Avengers: Age of Ultron (which wasn’t as great as I had hoped it would be but was still pretty entertaining). I was also pleasantly surprised by Ant-Man which turned out to be a pretty good film (I really feared it was going to flop which would have been a shame since I really like Paul Rudd a lot).
I also watched Ex Machina (which I loooooved!) and developed a bit of a crush on Domhnall Gleeson which led to me watching The Deathly Hallows again (like I needed much of an excuse!), About Time (a really sweet romantic comedy) and Unbroken which was pretty good as well. I think he is a really talented actor and I predict that his career is going to be long and varied.
I also caught up on some television series as well. I watched the third and final series of My Mad Fat Diary which I was sad to see finish but to be honest, the second and third series could never hold up to the brilliance that was the first series.
I also (finally!) got into Gotham and binge-watched the entire series on Netflix (in less than a week). I loved it and was particularly impressed by Robin Lord Taylor’s Penguin. He is definitely my favourite character and I cannot help but root for him even when he is doing despicable things.
what else i got up to:
I have recently discovered the wonders of ASOS and have spent a small fortune over the last month or so buying clothes, jewellery, and hair accessories from their online store. I have absolutely no idea why it took me so long to order from them.
I also set up an Instagram account a few weeks ago and I am pretty much obsessed! I have spent more time taking pictures of books than actually reading them but it has been a lot of fun.
News about the Final Fantasy VII remake has made me want to dig out my Playstation and fire it back up to play the original again. I really adored that game back in the day and I am pretty stoked for the shiny new version when it comes out!
here are the posts i wrote in june:
- [1 Jun] Monthly Wrap-Up: May 2015
- [2 Jun] From Page To Screen
- [3 Jun] Waiting on Wednesday: Dreamstrider
- [3 Jun] WWW Wednesday #33
- [3 Jun] Favourite Books of 2015 So Far
- [4 Jun] Brin’s Book Buzz: June 2015
- [6 Jun] Stacking the Shelves #71
- [7 Jun] One Lovely Blog Award #2
- [9 Jun] Most Anticipated Releases 2nd Half 2015
- [10 Jun] Books with Multiple POVs
- [11 Jun] A Day in the Life: Personal Post
- [12 Jun] The Friday 56: The Midnight Club
- [14 Jun] Stacking the Shelves #72
- [16 Jun] Top Ten Books On My TBR For Summer 2015
- [17 Jun] Books I Read in One Sitting
- [20 Jun] Stacking the Shelves #73
- [21 Jun] Style of Book Covers
- [21 Jun] Read Play Blog #12
- [27 Jun] Stacking the Shelves #74
- [30 Jun] Top Ten Books I’ve Read So Far In 2015
here are the posts i wrote in july:
- [1 Jul] Favourite Chapter Headings
- [4 Jul] Stacking the Shelves #75
- [7 Jul] The Cinderella Book Tag
- [7 Jul] Top Ten Hyped Books I’ve Never Read
- [8 Jul] Waiting on Wednesday: Illuminae
- [8 Jul] WWW Wednesday #34
- [11 Jul] Stacking the Shelves #76
- [12 Jul] Blogging Slump…
- [26 Jul] Hiatus No More! Woohoo!
- [27 Jul] The 80’s Tag: Do You Think I’m Weird?
- [28 Jul] Characters Who Are Fellow Book Nerds
- [31 Jul] Mid-Year Book Freakout: 2015 Edition
here are the posts i wrote in august:
- [3 Aug] Stacking the Shelves #77
- [4 Aug] 2 Year Blogoversary
- [4 Aug] Top Ten Fairytale Retellings I Want To Read
- [8 Aug] Stacking the Shelves #78
- [11 Aug] Authors I’ve Read The Most Books From
- [15 Aug] Stacking the Shelves #79
- [16 Aug] Read Play Blog #13 & #14
- [18 Aug] Top Ten Auto-Buy Authors
- [23 Aug] Stacking the Shelves #80
- [31 Aug] August 2015 Wrap-Up